baby

Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Perspective

For several years now, my work has been my baby. I eat, sleep and breathe banking for the most part and it is not uncommon to leave early in the morning and not get home until well after dinner time or dark. Matt & I have both had jobs that require a lot of time away from home, and it became part of our normal routine. Stuff at home can be easily overlooked until the weekends because M-F is dedicated to other things. We work hard, play hard and somehow it all seems to get done. I have always taken for granted though the freedom of our schedules. If we don't eat until 9 or 10pm, no big deal, if we only get 5 hours of sleep because we stayed out for one more drink, we caught up on the weekend.

As I've gone through this pregnancy so far, it is really interesting to see how my perspective on time has changed quite a bit. I have started thinking ahead to a few months from now when I have a sweet little baby waiting for my undivided attention in the evening, how much easier it will likely be for me to remember that the work will still be here in the morning.

It has really it me recently that soon, it will no longer be just Matt & I and our lackadaisical routine. That Saturday mornings will no longer be reserved for either a) a hangover and not waking until lunch or b) getting up early to clean the house before laying back down and sleeping away the afternoon.

I'm a planner in most aspects of life, but not when it comes to my home routine. It will be interesting to see how everything will change. I already have a new found sense of respect for seeing how my mom and grandmother who worked full time when I was kid find a way to get it all done. How selfless and tiresome it must have been for them and all those years I just figured it was the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment